Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Us at the Market (Part one)

[image source: Fruity Cuties]

Its finally some type of nice outside (I'd say "Goodbye Rain, Hello Sun" but the minute I even think it, it'll probably snow or something) and its time to support our local economies.  And maybe to do ourselves a favor and help out our bodies by not cramming them with week old pizza and "slut sauce" (I promise.  There will be a whole post on what this is).  So this Saturday, I'm going to a Farmer's Market! I'm unduly excited about this (I've been counting down) because as a full fledged grown-up, I've never been to one on my own behalf.  I've tagged along with my mom to the world famous West Side Market in Cleveland and watched her expertly haggle and bargain - a concept that scares the beejeesus out of me.  I don't haggle.  I don't bargain.  I pay the marked price.   No questions asked.  Suffice it to say, this is going to be a whole new experience for me.  We'll put up pictures (hopefully) of the experience and I'll be sure to take good notes while I'm shopping.  Don't expect them to be anything but how I paid $10 for a pound of apples.  If you're thinking about venturing out there yourself, here's some helpful tips I've put together:

1.  Brush up on the price of produce available at your favorite grocery store.  No use in buying expensive goods at either location.
2.  Fruit should smell like, you know, fruit.  More importantly it should smell like the fruit it is.  Example: A pineapple should smell like a pineapple.  This is how you know its fresh.
3.  Apparently, the vendor will always cite you a higher price then what they actually expect you to pay. And you should counter with half that and so the haggling begins.  I've learned that pretending to walk away and/or citing another vendor that has a better deal (usually made up) is a beneficial strategy.
4.  As a personal preference, I like to stick with things that are in season (Mangos, Asparagus, Watermelon to name a few) because its less likely that they've been chemically treated.
5.  Have fun.  I know I'll be stressed and awkward but you don't have to be.  This is a learning experience after all.
6.  Don't forget to pat yourself on the back at the end of the day.  You're helping sustain local Ohio farms.  Yay you.  

Oh and I googled Farmer's Markets in Columbus for you (yeah. You're welcome).  Click here.  The Columbus North Market is a sure fire bet to get some good stuff and it's located conveniently downtown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment